[TriLUG] Fedora, RHEL, and drivers

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 5 10:19:41 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:53:51AM -0500, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> I think it's amazing that there has been so much FUD surrounding Red Hat
> over the past few days, when this new direction was originally announced
> FOUR months ago (in July, under the name "Red Hat Linux Project" which
> was later changed to Fedora).  People are acting like it's a big
> surprise -- it's not.

I think the surprise is in how emphatic RH is being in declaring the
desktop dead.  RH has been _the_ desktop Linux in the minds of many, right
there on the store shelves.  Now the box set is gone, you're being pointed
at something called Fedora that has a very uncertain feel to it, and the
CEO says you should be running Windows anyway.

This does not inspire confidence in new users.  I'm on several
non-technical mailing lists and the RH moves are generating much fear,
uncertainty, and doubt.  You don't need outside fud-meisters when you're
creating the atmosphere above.

I'm hoping Fedora-Core-1 releases soon and is good.  I'm _seriously_ hoping
that this change doesn't drive more software vendors away from Linux.  As
for me, I've been running RH since 4.0, and I'm still trying to decide
where to go next.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net