[TriLUG] Open Source Empowerment

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Nov 5 10:49:19 EST 2003

First, I don't read /.

I heard some grumblings a few weeks ago so I started checking out
fedora.redhat.com. I started looking at how it's migrating from a consumer
model to a beta style model (in my mind at least), similar to what
staroffice/openoffice has done. For an app that may be ok, but for a distro,
I'm not sure.

I've been reading the website but no I haven't had a chance to try it. As in
a previous email, I will most definitely be checking fedora, and I hope that
I'm pleasantly surprised AND that my assumptions of the distro are wrong.

One of my concerns is that I've been able to "sell" if you will Linux based
on the structure of the Red Hat of old. Easy updates (up2date, apt-rpm,
etc), ease of distribution/installation, clean/sleek look ( I personally
LIKE BlueCurve), and even the "bleeding-edge" approach to some newer drivers
for newer hardware.

>From what I've read on www.redhat.com and fedora.redhat.com, I'm not sure
about the change. I'm not sure I understand how it's going to work, much
less answer questions.

That's the frustration, change. Yup, that's it, I'm human and I don't like
mucking with a good thing. I personally like the Red Hat of old, I just hope
I like the new one. I really do.