[TriLUG] Re: Linux for the desktop

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 7 07:49:29 EST 2003

Yes, our sites use KDE and StarOffice.  They all like the interface fine
(but to be honest, would benefit from an upgrade -- which we are working
on now).  Some people say, "This is like Windows."  I say, nope.
Microsoft did not come up with the interface and neither did Linux
developers.  Seriously, I want folks to know that what we are giving
them is not "fake Windows."

The missing pieces for us are -- desktop publishing (Microsoft
Publisher-like application), easy to use graphics program (they have
GIMP but find it to be overkill and I agree).  We have not had a demand
for a project management applications (Microsoft Project-like) but I
think that the organization could use it and I am looking for a more
fully featured one than MrProject.

--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator