[TriLUG] Linux Installations Problems

Dean Price dprice153 at charter.net
Fri Nov 7 09:58:34 EST 2003

I got one for the group...
First I will list the spec of the machine:
P4 2.2Ghz (Intel board)
1 GB PC800 Rambus
120GB HD (2MB Databurst cache)
20GB HD
52X Lite-on CDROM
2.4X Phillips DVD+RW (DVD,CDR,CDRW,CDROM)
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV (64MB) -- Onboard Firewire
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Intel EtherExpress 10/100(e100 or eepro100)  or Generic tulip Ethernet
USB Keyboard and mouse
4port USB Hub

Now for the results of loading different Linux OS's

RedHat 9 and Fedora Core 1
Video worked great after loading ATI Drivers
All USB initiallized fine
Sound Works
Ethernet drivers loaded and brought up eth0, but transmit timed out... (no
ethernet)  reinstalled drivers, switched cards and slots - nothing.

Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2
X kills the CPU - this is fine after installing ATI drivers
Keyboard and mouse work - USB hub does not
Sound Works
Ethernet drivers loaded and brought up eth0, but transmit timed out... (no
ethernet)  reinstalled drivers, switched cards and slots - nothing.

Suse 8.2 and 9RC5
X works, but not great SAX didnot like the idea of the ATI Drivers messing
around with XFree86 Config file
All USB works
Sound works
And Ethernet works.

I would prefer to use Mandrake 9.2 but untill I can get stuff to work here
I refuse to convert completely from WinXP.

If anyone has any suggestions (other than "Use a different box") it would
be greatly appreciated.

Dean Price
deano at price4.org
dprice153 at charter.net