[TriLUG] Oracle9i AS on Redhat9

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Fri Nov 7 11:50:33 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Ryan Leathers wrote:

> I expect that I can use newer versions of the Kernel and Glibc, but want
> to be sure before I place an order for RHEL 3 and find out it won't
> work.
>
> If anyone can offer me peace of mind through confirmation of personal
> experience I would owe you lunch or something :)

Ryan, installing Oracle can be a bear.  I've done it a few times.  RH9 was
more difficult and I can't claim to remember what all I had to do to make
it work.

In all honesty, RH 7.3 was *faster* in our shop than RHAS 2.1 running
Oracle on some substantial tables.  During the
install process you have to downgrade your binutils package to one
specified by Oracle but post-install you can upgrade back to current.