[TriLUG] Switching distros based on marketing, rumor, FUD -- or based on technical merit?

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Fri Nov 7 18:36:36 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:38, Mike Mueller wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 08:33, Brent Fox wrote:
> > Here's a quote:  "However, Szulik expects Linux to be ready in a couple
> > of years after it has had time to mature."
> >
> > It doesn't sound like he's writing off the home desktop forever to me.
>
> If your sister started a business would you ask your local newspaper to
> print a story about how her venture is immature and people should avoid her
> business for a couple of years?  It might be true but you wouldn't say it. If
> you did your family would be hurt and your friends would think you're a jerk.

If my sister was planning on opening a bookstore across the street from
Barnes and Noble for example, I would advise her to make sure she had
the right strategy and was ready to compete against a company with
infinitely more money and power.

Having said that,  I don't see what your analogy has to do with the
article.  Matthew wasn't talking about his sister's business, he was
talking about his own business.

Cheers,
   Brent