[TriLUG] Switching distros based on marketing, rumor, FUD -- or based on technical merit?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Nov 7 19:59:49 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 01:451am, al johnson wrote:
> There is something that everyone is missing here.  The owner of the
> Linux name  (Linus Torvalds) in a recent article in Wired magazine
> said that (...)  he is not giving up on making the Linux desktop
> one of the finest as well,

>    So it really doesn't matter what Red Hat says or decides to do,
> they are merely doing what they think is best for themselves.
> If they don't think they can perfect the desktop for use by everyone,
> who cares, someone else will!!  (...)

>     So I agree with the creator, if Red Hat doesn't want to improve
> desktop software so that it's good enough for the masses, who should
> care.

If you read what Szulik really said, the whole thing, you will see that
he speaks along the same lines as Linus... although he disguisses into
"corporate speak".

After reading the headline, I was less.... than happy. After reading the
whole thing, I noticed that:

1. the headline is inflamatory and taken out of context
2. Szulik is *not* saying that Linux is not for the Desktop
3. Szulik says that *right now* Linux is not for *all* the desktop needs
4. Szulik says that in 2 years, Linux will be there

what's wrong with this? (aside from irrumator journalists)

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.2 -    Linux Machine # 38068