[TriLUG] Switching distros based on marketing, rumor, FUD -- or based on technical merit?

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 8 01:01:44 EST 2003

On Friday 07 November 2003 18:36, Brent Fox wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:38, Mike Mueller wrote:
> > On Friday 07 November 2003 08:33, Brent Fox wrote:
> > > Here's a quote:  "However, Szulik expects Linux to be ready in a couple
> > > of years after it has had time to mature."
> > >
> > > It doesn't sound like he's writing off the home desktop forever to me.
> >
> > If your sister started a business would you ask your local newspaper to
> > print a story about how her venture is immature and people should avoid
> > her business for a couple of years?  It might be true but you wouldn't
> > say it. If you did your family would be hurt and your friends would think
> > you're a jerk.
>
> If my sister was planning on opening a bookstore across the street from
> Barnes and Noble for example, I would advise her to make sure she had
> the right strategy and was ready to compete against a company with
> infinitely more money and power.

You missed the point.

> Having said that,  I don't see what your analogy has to do with the
> article.  Matthew wasn't talking about his sister's business, he was
> talking about his own business.

He was talking about Linux.  He did not say "RH Linux is not ready". He said
"Linux was not ready".

There are companies and organizations and indivuduals - some of whom
participate on this list - that are trying to get Linux on the desktop - for
love, honor, challenge, or money. These people are the sister in the analogy.
Linux is the sister's business.  The comment did not help them.  It hurt
them.  It's not their fault that Novell bought Ximian and SuSE and attracted
a $50M investment from IBM.  It's not their fault that all of a sudden the
world has two respected names, Novell and IBM, teamed up behind SuSE and a
Desktop product.  The comment smacks of sour grapes over these deal
announcements.

--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)