[TriLUG] Oracle9i AS on Redhat9

Ron Joffe ron.joffe at sienatech.com
Mon Nov 10 10:54:27 EST 2003

Ryan,

I have had many experiences of Oracle on Linux, and I must say that you WILL
have issues with RHAS 3 and 9iAS. You won't have an issue with the 9i DB
itself, but the Application Server component will crash. And as of last week
oracle support stated that they can not currently support RHAS 3, and
recommended going back to 2.1.

Oracle has had so many issues with installs because of glib libraries,
kernels, etc, they now force you to run a rather lengthly shell script to
verify all of your system components before they will give you support. If
any one part of the script errors, then they tell you to fix that first
before you can get any support from them. The script is just a big shell
script, so you can go through it, and tweak your individual system to get it
to resolve all of the issues.

If you really want a much smoother oracle install, then I would definitely
recommend SuSE Enterprise 8. The SuSE folks have created an RPM which
basically sets up all of the oracle configuration items very nicely. The RPM
is SuSE specific, but can be retrofitted to work on RHAS systems. SLES 7 is
supported, but if you take a look at:

http://www.SuSE.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/matrix.html

you will see the entire SuSE / Oracle matrix.

Let me know if you have any other issues or questions with regard to Oracle /
Linux, I would be happy to help.

Ron

--
Ron Joffe