[TriLUG] anybody use a linux dhcp3 server to netboot a windows XP embedded OS?

davis davis at skink.net
Wed Nov 12 12:10:49 EST 2003

Hello

I am trying to learn windows embedded XP embedded.  I do not have a copy of
windows server so I am trying to use it with an existing linux server.  This
means that I have three computers involved.  One is a windows 2k pro
computer that is running the windows embedded XP build tools and will
be the windows remote boot server.  A second computer is my windows embedded
XP target machine.  This is the computer I am using to boot/run various
embedded XP images that I build using the first machine.  The third computer
is my linux computer.  I want to use my linux server for three things
normally provided by a windows 2K server:

	o  A simple DHCP server for the windows embedded box that provides
a ip address, dns server, etc.  That part works.  ie. I can boot the
windows embedded box from hard disk and it can use the linux server to
configure its ip settings.

	o  A more advanced DHCP server which allows me to boot the windows xp
embedded box via network.  This fails to work.  When the intel netboot
process starts it tries to fetch the correct image from my windows
2k workstation.  This is good in that it uses the linux box to get information
about booting from the win2k dev machine.  However it fails by saying
"To many packages (or was that too many images?)".

	o  Use the Apache Webserver to provide a Device Update Agent (DUA) server
for the windows embedded XP software update capability.

If you have any experience/ideas please advise.

--
Happy Trails

John F. Davis
ABC #6334 1992 R100GSPD                    Durham, North Carolina
http://www.skink.net