[TriLUG] FDD Firewall distros

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 15 17:12:22 EST 2003

On Saturday 15 November 2003 14:28, Roy Vestal wrote:
> Howdy. I'm looking a very "unique" distro. I'm looking a distro that will
> fit on one or FDD's, 2.4 kernel, iptables (for nat/firewall) and supports
> PCMCIA NICs. That's right, I want a Floppy Firewall that will run off a
> happyh little laptop with No HDD and No CD.
>
> anyone?

I was following LRP in 2000.  They were using 2.2 kernels and having to use
special techniques to use more than 1.4MB on the FD.  Unsafe IMO.  I had
little success with it but I was a raw noob back then. With 2.4 I'm not sure
what the status is now.  Whoa! Major sour grapes. http://www.linuxrouter.org/

Would you consider CDROM with a RAMdisk?  More space all around.  CDROMs are
a 4x cost of FDD (4 X $5 = $20).  Same safety attributes - root assaults
cured with reset.

These embedded Linuxes might be the new thing in this area.  Sorry I missed
the White Dwark presentation. The PC/104 stuff is pretty cool.  Embedded R-T
Linux is high on my todo list.

--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)