[TriLUG] Re: RE: Digital Camera vs. Linux

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Nov 18 01:20:10 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 00:07, Turnpike Man wrote:
> Just as someone else said, there is nothing you can do about that delay with a
> digital camera unless you spend more money.  My Canon Digital Rebel SLR was
> $999 with an 18-55mm lens.  Of course, you'll also want a 512MB CF II 40x card
> and a carry bag to go with it.  If you want point and click, you might want
> Canon Elph series.  Small, fits in pocket very easily too.

I'm definitely not looking for *that* kind of speed.  Can't afford it
right now. :-)  I want something I can use to take pictures that are
good enough for digital viewing and reasonably printable up to 8x10.

> I recommend you get something that is AT LEAST 3.2mp (wahtever brand/model you
> decide on) if you have any dreams of printing nice 8x10 photos.  My 4.0mp Canon
> Powershot G2 did this VERY well, 3.2mp should also, 2.0mp probably not.  As I
> see it, a camera is an investment (but that's why I took the SLR leap).  Again,
> good luck in whatever you choose.

Yeah.  Spent some time looking at various cameras tonite and was
pondering the MP issue:  2.0, 3.0, 3.2, etc.  The 4.0 and up are
definitely out of my range and I'm now debating between a cheaper 2.0 or
bit more expensive 3.0 or 3.2 MP camera.  That basically boils down to
deciding on how much of an investment do I want to make.  Go with
something I can more easily afford now or stretch a bit and get
something that will last me longer.

--[Lance]

--
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/