[TriLUG] Linux compatible USB Flash Drives

Neil Roeth neil at occamsrazor.net
Wed Nov 19 22:39:12 EST 2003

On Nov 17, Marius Silaghi (msilaghi at cs.fit.edu) wrote:
 > >I have a SanDisk Cruzer Mini that I am able to mount as a vfat drive under
 > >Linux, copy files to, etc.  What is the difference between a "Flash Drive" and
 > >a "Mass Storage" device?  What does your SanDisk device not do under Linux
 > >that you would like it to do?
 >

 > Sorry, Mine doesn't want to be mounted. It simply stalls. How did you do?

I recompiled a kernel with USB support.  I believe the specific options were:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m

In addition to UHCI, there appear to be options for OHCI and EHCI, so that is
one option that might differ between your machine and mine.  I also created
the directory /cruzer and added this to my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1       /cruzer         vfat    noauto,user                     0 0

Then doing "mount /cruzer" does the trick.  HTH.

--
Neil Roeth