[TriLUG] OT: cell phone reccomendations

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Nov 20 08:58:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 20:12, Greg Brown wrote:
> It's time to make my 12-24 month commitment to a cell phone carrier.  I
> have Verizon and I'm looking to make a change.  I liked the idea of
> Sprint's PCS w/Vision service that allows you to connect to the
> Internet over the USB connection the phone but I've heard that the data
> rates have dropped to around 28.8 levels.  Is this what everyone else
> has seen?

PCS Vision has been advertising as "50-70 Kbps" rates.  That's certainly
better than 28.8 -- the question is are they advertising falsely or
not?  I suppose it depends if you're using it at peak times, or in busy
places.

Don't forget that cell phone number portability will probably start next
week.  As a result there will probably be a huge number of people
switching service from one carrier to another.

> Is there a particular service which is highly reccomended?  Any that
> are generally loathed?
>
> Connecting via a Mac OS X || Linux computer to the Internet would be a
> big plus..

The only service that I've ever heard of doing this successfully is
Sprint.  AT&T does offer a similar service, but it has even slower data
rates, and it doesn't seem to work with Linux.

--Jeremy, Sprint PCS (but not Vision) user