[TriLUG] performance enhancements?

z zzd at contentdb.net
Sun Nov 23 14:21:03 EST 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 08:13 pm, bdsmith at nc.rr.com wrote:
> Fellow Linux Users,
> I'm in the process of setting up Linux on my desktop machine, and am
> wondering what I can do to optimize the machine’s performance. I'm using
> reiserfs, I've tweaked the hard drive with hdparm, and I've set up
> prelinking. Since I'm running Gentoo, I’ve also taken advantage of some of
> Gentoo’s distro-specific performance enhancements (tweaked the use and
> compile time flags, used the desktop tuned Gentoo kernel sources). Are
> there any other general tweaks I can do to enhance
> responsivness/performance? This box is intended for everyday desktop use
> with a fair amount of gaming. Thanks

With Gentoo, you might want to consider xfs rather than reiser, but only if
you have your system attached to a good ups. If you stick with reiserfs, use
both notail and noatime parameters. I also recommend that you use metalog as
your system logger.

For graphical performance, stay away from KDE or Gnome as your default
desktop. Although I found both to be very responsive on my Gentoo box.
For more performance tips, read through the on line Gentoo docs, they are
really quite informative, even to a non-sysadmin/desktop end user like
myself.

I hope you had better luck with prelinking than I did, it completely hosed my
system - fortunately I had a backup.

> p.s.
> Has anyone had good or bad experiences wtih a specific domain registrar?

GoDaddy has been good for me so far. It came highly recommended by several
other folks on another list I subscribe to.

Good luck.