Suse / installfests - Re: [TriLUG] article: N&O Home Users Leap to Linux

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Nov 24 10:44:55 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 03:53, al johnson wrote:

> I'm going to give Suse a try, but first I need to know how big a hard drive
> you would need to install everything for Suse 9.0.  Anybody know the answer??

No, but this should clearly be given in the release notes or other
information on their web site.

>  The second question is related to this one: are we going to offer Suse 9.0
> as an option at our next installfest?? --- Al johnson

Well, we can certainly try to help folks install it if they bring their
own copy.  However, distributions like Suse and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
do not make their ISOs (CD images) or install trees freely available.
We can only freely copy distributions like Debian, Mandrake, and Fedora
(née Red Hat Linux).  There are freely distributable RHEL knock-offs,
like White Box Linux, that could be used as well; I'm not sure if Suse
has knock-offs.  One of the problems with Suse is that not all of the
configuration tools are Open Source; unlike Red Hat which writes its
software with the GNU GPL.

By the way, the Steering Committee is working on planning the next
installfest now, probably in January or February.  We'll let you know
when we have the exact date and location.

--Jeremy