[TriLUG] Bruning MAC dms's under Linux

Bradford Powell bradford_powell at unc.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:31:22 EST 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 15:59, Ken Mink wrote:
> Hello All,
>   I have a some dmg cd images that I need to burn for my Mac. .....

I'm not sure, but you could try (from the OS X terminal)
hdiutil convert <diskimage.dmg> -format UDTO -o <diskimage.toast>
 (replacing <diskimage.dmg> and <diskimage.toase> with appropriate names).

Files created by diskimage are not (in general) simple isos but have many
options for compression. 'man hdiutil' says that the UDTO format is "DVD/CD-R
export".I've seen UDTO referred to online as a ".toast" file, but I _think_
that an image in this format should be burnable by cdrecord.

If that doesn't work you could try mounting the disk image on OS X, finding
what device it uses for the disk, and use dd to copy from the device to a
file. But I'm not sure if a disk image gets mapped to a device when mounted
like that...

-- Bradford Powell