[TriLUG] Small business server setup

Justin Johnson justin at deepbluesoftware.com
Fri Nov 28 09:29:24 EST 2003

I have been assigned the task of replacing the server at the company that I
work for. This server will be used for file sharing and email for 13
employees. I suggested using Linux to the owner of the company, who liked
the idea of saving the cost of Win2x Server and Exchnage (or other email
server software) versus _FREE_ :-). I will be using RedHat 9.0 and setting
up Samba and Postfix for file sharing and mail serving. All clients (other
than my dual boot laptop) will be Windows machines on this network.

 I think I pretty much have a game plan that I can wade through, although I
do have a couple of questions, one of which is tired and beat to death, so
I apologize in advance... I have Googled and dug through mail archives but
can not find anything clear.

Do  I need to make any special considerations for partitioning this machine
when setting it up? I ask becasue the shares that will be set up will be as
follows:

\work - Everyone will have full read / write access. Will build directory
structure down from here.
\finance - Only 3 of us will have access full read / write to this share,
all others NO access

For mail I will just add users to the machine and then disable their console
login ability (i can do this, right?)Will use POP/SMTP protocols, possibly
latter moving to IMAP. At first the mail will only serve the local network
machines, but my next step after getting that up will be to contact our
website hosting provider about setting up an MX record to point to our DSL
IP and then providing internet email for everyone in the company. Does this
bring any special considerations into play for initial setup of Postfix?

That's my game plan for now. Should I be considering anything else? Am I
missing anything?

I guess I should also mention that I do not intend to allow anyone other
than myself to have console login privledges to this machine. Others will
only need to access the shares from their Windows clients and get/send mail
via POP/SMTP.

Thanks,
Justin