[TriLUG] Small business server setup

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Fri Nov 28 09:36:59 EST 2003

Justin Johnson wrote:

> I think I pretty much have a game plan that I can wade through, although I
>do have a couple of questions, one of which is tired and beat to death, so
>I apologize in advance... I have Googled and dug through mail archives but
>can not find anything clear.
>
>Do  I need to make any special considerations for partitioning this machine
>when setting it up? I ask becasue the shares that will be set up will be as
>follows:
>
>\work - Everyone will have full read / write access. Will build directory
>structure down from here.
>\finance - Only 3 of us will have access full read / write to this share,
>all others NO access

you also need a large /var partition for mail and if you are using IMAP
in the future large /home dir if you expect a lot of saved emails

>For mail I will just add users to the machine and then disable their console
>login ability (i can do this, right?)

adduser johnd -s /bin/false 'this adds the mail user and does not give
them shell access'

>Will use POP/SMTP protocols, possibly
>latter moving to IMAP. At first the mail will only serve the local network
>machines, but my next step after getting that up will be to contact our
>website hosting provider about setting up an MX record to point to our DSL
>IP and then providing internet email for everyone in the company.

I would first check to see if the website provider offers email hosting,
depending on your website plan, most providers offer a number of email
accts, we use website source and they give 100 free email addresses with
our acct, along with mailing lists.  I am not against inhouse mail
servers, but if you already are already paying for the resources, use
them.  Another thing is that if you intend on having Internet access I
would strongly urge you do not put samba on the same machine as email.
This machine will need to be on your DMZ and firewalled.