[TriLUG] Small business server setup

Justin Johnson justin at deepbluesoftware.com
Fri Nov 28 14:01:41 EST 2003

> >Do  I need to make any special considerations for partitioning
> >this machine when setting it up? I ask becasue the shares that will be
set up
> >will be as follows:
> >
> >\work - Everyone will have full read / write access. Will build directory
> >structure down from here.
> >\finance - Only 3 of us will have access full read / write to this share,
> >all others NO access
> >
> you also need a large /var partition for mail and if you are using IMAP
> in the future large /home dir if you expect a lot of saved emails

Well my initial partitioning was going to start as follows(40GB drive)

/boot	100MB
/	10GB
/home	rest of drive
/swap	1024MB (machine has 512MB RAM)

I guess you are indicating I need to make a seperate /var partition? What
size would you suggest? I also forgot to ask on which partition I would want
to create the directories to share? Or should these actually be their own
partitions?

> adduser johnd -s /bin/false 'this adds the mail user and does not give
> them shell access'
Cool. Thanks. I remebered reading this on a post a while back but I couldn't
find the post.

> I would first check to see if the website provider offers email hosting,
> depending on your website plan, most providers offer a number of email
> accts, we use website source and they give 100 free email addresses with
> our acct, along with mailing lists.  I am not against inhouse mail
> servers, but if you already are already paying for the resources, use
> them.  Another thing is that if you intend on having Internet access I
> would strongly urge you do not put samba on the same machine as email.
> This machine will need to be on your DMZ and firewalled.

I have suggested this to the owner of the company, as I agree with you
completely. Hopefully they have the email covered and I can skip the mail
server altogether. I'm just trying to plan ahead in case I need to set up
the mail services.

Thanks for the replies!

-JJ