[TriLUG] Small business server setup

Justin Johnson justin at deepbluesoftware.com
Fri Nov 28 14:07:57 EST 2003

> > \work - Everyone will have full read / write access. Will build
> > directory structure down from here.
> > \finance - Only 3 of us will have access full read / write to this
> > share, all others NO access
>
> RHL9 lets you use LVM, which makes it easy to resize partitions on the
> fly.  take advantage of this.

Yea, I remember the thread a couple of weeks(months>) ago about LVM, and had
already decided to use it. Sounds like a very cool why to handle scalability
of storage

> if this is a file server, you'd better have a backup plan in mind.  and
> before anyone asks, raid is for redundancy, not backup :-)

Agreed. I'm requesting $ for a RAID card, but I was thinking that I could
handle backups via tar run as cron jobs. (He-He, I have no idea what that
means, but that seems to be what has stuck in my head formthe list... guess
I will be learning about cron and tar real soon, eh?) I will store backups
on a seperate hard drive or machine on the network.

Thanks Jason.

-JJ