[TriLUG] SUSE 9 question about YaST & 3d acceleration mode

Jason S. Evans jsevans at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 02:39:36 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 16:20, Dan Smith wrote:
> Good evening!  This weekend, I installed SUSE 9 on a second hd (Win2K
> other OS) with dual boot option.  I'm defaulting to KDE if that matters.
>
> I have a NVIDIA GeForce256 with 32mb ram, downloaded the 3d driver from
> NVIDIA (not distributed with SUSE 9), and installed with no problem.  I
> started X, and then tried to activate the 3d acceleration in YaST.  YaST
> goes through the test process, and confirms 3d acceleration will be
> available after restart.
>
> PROBLEM:  I restart, and the 3d acceleration is still disabled.  It
> should have been retained.
>
> I'm not an admin, just a dangerous enthusiast salivating to ditch M$.
> So, the only way I know to restart is to either logoff and login again,
> or to do a full system restart.  Is this the problem with why the
> setting is not retained?
>
> If not, should someone know how to remedy, or  be able to provide
> detailed directions on the proper way to manually edit the xf86config
> (isn't it this file?), I would be immensely grateful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

I just installed SuSE 9.0 also.  I am using an NVIDIA g-force MX 440-SE
video card.  It took me quite a while to be able to set up the Graphics
Acceleration, but it is worth it.

Here are the steps that I performed to do this. You may want to print
this out. Beware, this isn't exactly for the faint of heart for the
complete newbie.

(I don't know if this is the official way to do this, but this is how I
got it to work)

1.  I went to nvidia.com and downloaded the newest driver.  The file
name that you are looking for is:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
The page location is here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4496

Do yourself a favor and read everything on the driver page.  It will
save you troubleshooting time later.

2.  Download the source for you kernel through YaST.  The Nvidia driver
is not preconfigured for the SuSE kernel, so it will need to configure
itself with help from kernel source.

3.  change the driver file to an executable either by using the chmod
command or use konqueror, if you are most familiar with that.

4.  Drop out of X.  The easiest way that I found to do this (without
rebooting).  Go into YaST.  Click on System, Click on Runlevel editor,
scroll down and click on XDM, click on Disable.  You should now by at a
command prompt with no GUI.  This is where you want to be.

5.  Become root

6.  run the driver program

7.  When you are back to the prompt, type in "exit" to get out of root,
then type in "startx" (without the quotes, of course).  You should now
be going back to KDE

8.  You can now set up your card in YaST to use graphics acceleration.
The next time that X is reset, you should see a big funky "Nvidia"
screen while it is loading.

Overall, I'm enjoying SuSE 9.0.  This my become my linux of choice...if
only I can get urpmi to work here.