[TriLUG] hard drive error/meltdown imminent

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Dec 1 16:41:02 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 16:20, Douglas Kojetin wrote:

> hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
> hdb: read_intr: error=0x40 {UnCorrectable Error}, LBAsect= 1577352,
> sector= 1577352
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:31 (hdb), sector 1577352

[...]
> I ran FSCK (fsck -ncv /dev/hdb1) to check, and under the new kernel I
> got some of the same errors (i think around sector 1569824 and above).
> I restarted and a notice popped up saying that "SMART" detected the
> hard drive was likely to fail ... please back up .... yadda yadda ...
>

> Will running FSCK to flag the errors 'fix' the drive?  Or is it best to
> throw out?  Can it be replaced?  I think it's a Western Digital 80GB
> drive ... < 2 yrs old ....

No, fsck cannot fix hardware problems.  The drive is dead or near-dead,
you need to replace it.  It may very well be under warranty, however, so
you should be able to get a replacement from Western Digital.  Go to
their web site and type in the serial number, and you can see the
warranty status.  Many hard drive warranties are 3 years.

--Jeremy