[TriLUG] Wireless at Lowes

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Mon Dec 1 19:55:32 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 18:13, Steve Williams wrote:
 <sniped stuff>

> Other than pure scare tactic, which law enforcement entity would you
> actually contact to report this kid if it happened again?  I'll bet it made
> you feel like a uber-geek to go next door and scare the kid and his folks -
> had it been me I would have laughed and told you to keep your WiFi
> transmissions contained to your house if you didnt want someone sniffing it.
>
> Maybe next time the kid kicks a ball into your yard, you should punch a hole
> in it rather than giving it back to him.  That'll teach him...

I think you need to take a close look at what you are saying here.  This
kids actions are NOT the equivalent of kicking a ball into someones
backyard, this is a kid who is spending 30-45 minutes minimum trying to
break into a window or door by picking the locks.  If you caught your
neighbors kid trying to break into your house would you just laugh and
say have a good day?  As long as he handled it politely and spoke with
the parents in a friendly manner I think he handled it correctly.  Not
only does the kid need a lesson, but the parents need a lesson to better
understand what their kid is doing/getting into. That kid "picks" the
wrong lock, and he could be facing jail time and big fines.

--
David A. Cafaro <dac(at)cafaro.net>
Sys Admin to User: "You did what?!?"