[TriLUG] Wireless at Lowes

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 1 20:59:13 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 06:13:38PM -0500, Steve Williams wrote:
> had it been me I would have laughed and told you to keep your WiFi
> transmissions contained to your house if you didnt want someone sniffing it.

How is he supposed to constrain the signals to his house?  WiFi is
_designed_ to go through walls, otherwise it would be of little use.
Building a Faraday cage around the property will likely fall afoul of
covenants.

Using an open WiFi node is one thing.  This is quite another.  Cracking
someone's encryption keys is akin to tapping their phone lines.  It takes
time and intent.

Complaining to the kid's parents is completely justified.  If I got your
attitude in return, then it would be time to invoke stronger measures, same
as if a parent told me to get better locks if I didn't like their kid
breaking into my house.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net