[TriLUG] mail help needed

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Tue Dec 2 08:53:46 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 08:14, gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> Here's what I'd like to do:
>
> Both my wife and I have multiple e-mail addresses for various activites.  If possible I'd like to:
>
> 1. download my pop3 mail from various mailboxes to a linux box at home
> 2. run everything through spamassassin

Look into fetchmail.  It grabs e-mail from remote servers and delivers
it to a local mailbox.  Thus running it through whatever filters you
have setup.

> 3. deliver the mail to our laptops (upon pop3 request) from the home linux box while preserving where the mail came from (i.e. if the mail was originally to gregbrown(at)mindspring.com I'd like to still to preserve the header if possible rather than being to so-and-so on such-and-such homeip.net address.

Looks like you want to run the UW-IMAP server which has a pop
component.  RH and others have UW-IMAP as a package which works well
enough.  (though you might just want to run a full out IMAP server for
centralized backup and stuff...)

> Is this possible?  If so, how did you make this happen?
>
> Greg

I went the fetchmail route to POP for awhile, then went to fetchmail to
IMAP on my own mailserver.  Works great, and you can do the whole
webmail thing too.

HTH
CJK
--