[TriLUG] Re: rc.X -- how do the real sysadmins do it?

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Wed Dec 3 09:38:49 EST 2003

> Redhat provides /sbin/chkconfig to manage rc.X services.  You can easily
> enable/disable services for each run level, and add/remove services
> completely from the system.

just to add on (<aol>me too!</aol>), my second step (up2date) on RHL
servers is typically to chkconfig --list then "chkconfig <service>
off" anything I know I don't need in any runlevel, at least not
automatically started.

I kinda wish chkconfig was avail on Debian, even though update-rc.d
exists, because the scripts have embedded start/stop levels and the
tool understands them.  update-rc.d defaults to 20 for everything, and
I'd really not have to remember init dependencies on my own :)
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4