[TriLUG] KVM & mouse problems

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Dec 7 14:19:19 EST 2003

Hi All-

I'm experiencing erratic mouse behavior w/ my Belkin KVM switch under
the console (and X as well, but I am rarely in it).  If I switch back
and forth between channels more than once, the mouse cursor goes crazy.
  The only real solution I've found is to restart 'gpm' (service gpm
restart), which is OK, but not all my users have access to that
command.  (I experienced it before, a long time ago, but I'm just now
getting around to it again -- since it's quite annoying).

I did find this page on the Belkin homepage:
http://web.belkin.com/support/faq_qa.asp?pid=190&cid=

I tried setting everything in my XF86Config file to /dev/mouse, but
that did not work (I guess it makes sense, since I'm working under the
console and that governs X).

Anyone else have any suggestions, other than just shutting down mouse
services all together?

Also, one other random question.  The mouse cursor under the console is
a white block w/ some sort of accented 'G', which seems to change to
some other characters when I move over a character on the screen.  Any
means of changing this?

Many thanks,
Doug