[TriLUG] compactflash 64mb works, 256mb doesn't (rh 7.2)

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Tue Dec 9 10:27:59 EST 2003

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> bah.  well, what other manufacturers are there for these adapters, and
> what alternatives might there be?  some sort of usb adapter, maybe?

hmm!  looking around, i see a lexar cf usb reader -- which says 'supports
all cf cards up to 128mb.'

and looking further, i see 'sandisk pc card adapter for cf' being listed
separately from 'sandisk pc card for ultra cf' -- and 'sandisk ultra ii
256mb cf card.'  so maybe 256mb is 'ultra' cf and has different requirements?
of course, it could just be sandisk marketing drivel..

a nikon coolpix bundle includes a usb reader for 'type i and type ii' cf
cards.  however 'type i' and 'type ii' appear to refer to formfactor, not
electronic profile.

and as a final kick in the head, the same pcmcia adapter works just
fine with the 256mb card .. in my windows 2000 machine.

so i guess i'll try to find a usb reader that can handle it.  failing
that, i guess i'll return the 256mb cf card and see if i have problems
with a 128mb card.

bah.
--
#ken	P-)}