[TriLUG] Gnome configuration

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 9 15:22:31 EST 2003

On 12/9/2003 11:17 AM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Janyne Kizer wrote:
>
>> KDE now uses OpenGL and some of our clients do not support that.
>> After discussing this with some other groups that have similar set ups
>> (City of Largo, etc.) we elected to go with Gnome rather than rolling
>> our own KDE.
>

> What does KDE use OpenGL for?  And, what about it do your clients not
> support?

We contacted our thin client vendor and they said that for $400/unit
(that would be like $320,000) they could sell us the OpenGL stuff that
we need.

> AFAIK, almost all the linux distributions these days support
> OpenGL out of the box (even if just in software).

These are NCD thin clients -- specifically the HMX and Explora product
lines.  We did contact other people that use Linux with these clients
and they have experienced the same issues.

> That seems like a
> bit of stretch to switch for just that.

Well, the clients are not usuable because it pops up an error message
about 30 times per minute.  That seems like a really good reason to try
something else.

--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator