[TriLUG] Gnome configuration

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 9 19:07:05 EST 2003

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Janyne Kizer wrote:
>
>> It's needed for login and apparently for the task manager as well. We
>> have elected not to roll our own KDE.
>

> What about kdm or the task manager uses it?  I know Qt links it in
> by default and because of that kde will link with it, but it seems
> to me, especially if you're using an rpm based distribution, that
> this wouldn't be too difficult to overcome.  You talk about "rolling
> your own" KDE, but I think you overstate it quite a bit.  Especially
> for system administrators, why even bother to use open source software
> if all you want to do is use prepackaged stuff?  "Tweaking" someone
> else's packages is extremely easy.  I even covered it in the rpm
> presentation I gave a while back.
> (http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/presentations/rpm/)

I don't know what specifically uses it but when users on the effected
terminals log in, they need to clear the error message with a mouse
click (hitting Enter doesn't work) over 20 times before the desktop
loads.  That is not acceptable behavior.  The errors don't stop there
either.

I don't really care to debate it use of Gnome or KDE.  That decision has
been made. I am asking a question about Gnome.

One of the main things that we are still trying to resolve with Gnome is
removing the "Known Applications" drop down list box from the Run menu
and/or controlling what appears in that drop down list box.  Any
suggestions?

--
Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5