[TriLUG] Building a Linux notebook

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 11:26:02 EST 2003

Any feedback on my gameplan and questions below would be appreciated. TIA.

I have a new Toshiba notebook that is moderately useful even though it's only
running XP.  It would be better if it ran Linux with Wine.  I'd like to
maintain the notebook's XP functionality while I learn how to get Debian with
Wine working.

At first I'll setup dual booting.  This way the XP partion keeps the notebook
useful while I work through the issues related to getting Debian installed
and working. Is Partion Magic the best tool for this?

I'll get the Debian partion working for all the functions I want (internal
display, external display, NIC, modem, sound, CD-RW, DVD, USB, digital
camera, scanner, external mouse and keyboard).

Then I can set up Wine in Linux partion.  The XP version shipped with the
notebook is unique to Toshiba.  I don't know enough about the Wine program to
understand how Wine accesses XP and if this Toshiba recovery CD containing XP
will work with Wine.  If the Toshiba distro of XP is incompatible with Wine
then I'll stay with the dual boot configuration.  I am not about to buy
another version of XP so I can run Wine.

Once everything works with the dual boot system and the Toshiba XP distro
works with Wine, I'll wipe down the hard disk and install Debian only and use
Wine for XP hosted programs.

Is this a reasonable approach given my requirements?

Again, TIA for any feedback.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)