[TriLUG] Anti-Viral Software

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 11 12:44:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 12:20, Ron Joffe wrote:
> While I am looking for other recommendations, how about a recommendation for
> an Anti-Viral.
>
> Specifications are that it needs to be able to run on a Winders platform as
> well as Linux. Ideally it will have a centralized repository for definition
> files, that can be pushed out to all of the clients (OS independent), so we
> can update the definition file automagically in one place.
>
> It needs to be able to report infections to a central local (perhaps via
> email).
>
> And finally, cost as always is a factor, but not THE factor.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> Ron

Most AV software charges you out the Wazoo for any software that runs on
your servers. You might want to consider CLAM for your servers and one
of the pay-for AV products for your Windows workstations. This also has
the advantage that you will be scanning almost everything with two
different AV packages - which is one of the recommended practices for
safe corporate computing.

Clam can be found at:
  http://www.clamav.net/

Clam, in combination with Mailscanner, is an awesome way to filter out
mail-born virii.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes