[TriLUG] Software Project: License Options

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Dec 12 14:11:10 EST 2003

[2003-12-12 13:08] bp said:
| On 12 Dec 2003, Michael Thompson wrote:
|
| > On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:19, bp wrote:
| > > // preparing for hail of do-it-for-free flames
| >
| > Hey, if you can make some $$ on your work, then more power to you!
| >
| > I'd open the source only if YOU want to, unless of course you
| > incorporate something covered by the GPL.  If its all about
| > choice, then you (since it is *your* time) should choose.
|
| We will not be making use of any GPL source, just using OpenLDAP, Struts
| and Tomcat.  And of course pitching the solution with a penchant for
| deploying on Linux ;-)

Why choose one license?

Release "foundation" code as BSD, where you'll get more contributions
from outside (and potentially from competitors :-), since the BSD
license only requires attribution...) developers.

Release "finished product" code (built on top of your foundation)
code as GPL.  make sure your receive copyright assignment for any
significant contributions so you'll be the sole copyright holder
for the GPL'd codebase.
  http://rhea.redhat.com/faq.html#why-copyright-assign
This way you're free to license the "product" as your business
goals develop.

my $.02
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman