[TriLUG] Raleigh Spammer Charged

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 12 17:55:29 EST 2003

Actually, it's more like charging the wine company because the truck stopped
in that dry county and unloaded.  The guy is being charged because his spam
found its destination in that area, not because it went through a server
there, as I read it.  'One of the many server that handled the spam
messages' is as likely to mean the destination server as it is a relay.  But
as one person said already, even if it's a relay, he used resources which
were not free for him to use to distribute spam, which is basically a theft
of service.  If someone sends mail on my network though one of my customers'
open relays through my mail servers, I consider that a theft of service.  My
servers are for my customers, and no one else.  That's our policy, that's
why we lock the machines down.

I don't have any opinion yet as to the severity of the sentence, to be
honest.  At first blush it seems a little harsh, but then again, fine the
guy and set him free, and he'll be doing it all over again tomorrow.  It's
too soon to have an opinion on that, so far as I'm concerned.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--