[TriLUG] Laptop Linux

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 10:06:07 EST 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 19:50, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> > Anybody have measurements on how long a battery charge lasts using Linux
> > on a laptop?
> >
> > What I conclude from reading this is that Linux control of ACPI ... well
> > ... er ... sucks right now.  I'll continue to research this, but if
> > anyone has information to the contrary I'd like to see it.

> I don't have any data for you at the moment, but if it's really
> important to ya, I could generate some. I've got my laptop configured
> to dual-boot RH 9 and Win2K Server, so I could easily do a comparison
> and chart out the battery life times...  As it happens, I can't really
> speak to the battery life under Linux, as I'm usually near an AC source,
> and have never let my battery run all the way down...

I can't deny that I'm keen to know what kind of charge life you get with each
OS.  It appears in the battery charge management race OS-X comes in first,
MS-OS second, and Linux distros last.  The rankings apply to to ease of
control of the battery management too.

I tried Knoppix on the Toshiba last night.  It just worked.  Display - no
problem.  External USB mouse and keyboard - no problem.  It didn't try KPPP
yet.  Pretty impressive.  I want to research the configuration of the kernel
to see if it is setup for ACPI.  I'll be testing the battery charge
management capability going forward too.

I learned that XP does not have a tool to burn .iso even though the nuts and
bolts exist in the OS.  Purposeful impedence to using the system to itself to
set up a multi-OS system.  I read last night the the MS brand name respect is
falling rapidly and the experts don't know why.   Perhaps it's because stupid
decisions like not enabling .iso burns add up to just annoy people.  Luckily
this exists: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)