[TriLUG] New RH

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 14 21:47:44 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 16:07, Jay Barrett wrote:

> ... considering AMD's
> Opteron processors and was curious if anybody else
> has tried the Opterons?

Hi Jay,

I'm installing RHEL AS v3 for AMD64 tomorrow on a dual Opteron system.
We've had SuSE 9.0 (x86-64) running on it and only had a few relatively
minor problems.  Some programs aren't "64bit clean" (they make faulty
assumptions about the sizes of pointers, etc.) and have problems when
compiled for the AMD64 architecture.  I bet these things will get sorted
out relatively quickly since the Opterons and Athlon64s are sure to
become popular items...

I'll try to put together a brief review later this week.

Ed

ps - And a huge "Bravo!" to Red Hat for the new and very reasonable
   academic pricing.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com