[TriLUG] New RH

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Mon Dec 15 06:02:45 EST 2003

Jay Barrett wrote:

> Has anybody had a chance to play with the new
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0? Initial thoughts?

Almost;  I run WBEL 3.0RC2 on a couple boxes at work.  It's a pretty
faithful clone of RHEL 3.0 without the trademarks or redistribution
restrictions.

> Especially curious about LVM. And if anybody
> has tested the speed up with multi-threaded
> apps and their new Native Posix Threading
> Library?

Performance testing?  No, not really.  I've mostly been using it thus
far as a desktop distribution.  I'm told there are 13 dual xeon 3.0GHz
machines waiting for me at the office this week to expand my OpenMOSIX
testing onto, but then I wouldn't be using Red Hat's kernel SRPM's.

I *am* however using LVM on all of my machines.  It works fine.

Note that Red Hat Linux 9 still has that terrible bug that make a large
part of LVM useless;  you cannot mount snapshots!  This bug is fixed in
the RHEL kernel (at least in the SRPM, which doesn't necessarily build
into the same binary RPM that RHEL customers get).  I'm running the
kernel-2.4.21-4.EL on my WBEL 3.0RC2 test boxes.  The Red Hat 9 box that
still has the LVM snapshot bug is kernel-2.4.20-24.9.  I no longer have
a Fedora box to test LVM on.

> Also I'm looking at upgrading my DB2/Linux
> servers that currently run on Intel Architecture
> (IBM xSeries 330s) and now considering AMD's
> Opteron processors and was curious if anybody else
> has tried the Opterons?

Not yet.   I'll let someone else beta test the new arch.  ;-)