[TriLUG] new notebook with linux

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Dec 20 15:52:03 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 15:10, Jim Ray wrote:

> anybody have a recommendation on a brand/model that is reliable and that has
> desktop performance (no PDAs)?  i am in the market and need to do something
> before the end of the year for tax purposes.

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about the laptop death.

I'd take a close look at the IBM ThinkPads.  They generally work well
with Linux.  I've done or have helped out with a lot of laptop installs
over the years (for bosses, co-workers, myself, and at installfests) and
have probably seen the least Linux troubles with the IBMs.  That said,
pretty much all new ACPI (non-APM) laptops are going to be somewhat
troublesome since Linux ACPI support is immature.

And no matter what models you investigate, be sure to see the write-ups
at:

  http://linux-laptop.net/

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com