[TriLUG] new notebook with linux

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 17:03:39 EST 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 15:10, Jim Ray wrote:
> how come the dells and toshibas of the world force you to purchase some
> other operating system whose name we won't mention?

DoJ says MS is not engaging in unfair business practices by negotiating with
hardware manufacturers into load their software without option.

> anybody have a recommendation on a brand/model that is reliable and that
> has desktop performance (no PDAs)?  i am in the market and need to do
> something before the end of the year for tax purposes.

Toshiba A35-S159. About $1100 after rebates.  The charge management is superb
using the evil OS.  What that really means is the underlying ACPI and
hardware are working well and that Liux should be equally capable of
extracting similar performance.

--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)