[TriLUG] RT311

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Mon Dec 29 11:03:56 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 00:56, Dwayne Qualls wrote:
> I'm attempting to setup my web server behind a Netgear RT311, and was
> wondering if you could share configuration document.  I'm

I would search your user manual for 'port forwarding' or DMZ if your
router supports it.  Do not use the DMZ option if you do not want your
web server sitting unprotected.  (You'll need to use iptables to filter
non-http ports on your web server's network interface, if you're using a
current Linux distro, which I assume you are since you posted here.)

> having difficulties understanding what menus need to be configured on
> the RT311.

For most routers the port forwarding options are pretty straight
forward, but if you are having trouble understanding some concepts I
would recommend that you do a little google-ing and read up on TCP/IP
basics and some firewalling basics before opening up your network to
the rest of the world.

hth,

--mike