[TriLUG] Nvidia Quadro2 Pro

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Dec 29 22:28:39 EST 2003

The Crocodile wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> Ask anyone who was around for the 30 hours I spent trying to get dual
> head to work with two Nvidia cards and Fedora Core 1. There was PLENTY
> of bitching going on, but I did eventually get it working.
>
> You can see my configuration at www.pasture.com/~tcroc/MISC/XF86Config
>
> You have to do some twinview tweaks to get the thing working correctly.
> In particular take a look at the section "Device" for Identifier
> "Videocard1" to see all the twinview and nvidia driver specific options
> I have in there.
>
> Try using some of those in the same place within your XF86Config file.
> Also, do NOT rely at all on the crappy buggy XF86 Gui configuration
> tools that come with Fedora. They all suck and can't be trusted. Do it
> by hand.

Well, doing nvidia twinview with one card is quite trivial.
I've never done it with two cards, so I can imagine that
would be more difficult.  The place you need to look is in
the Nvidia driver README file.

To enable twinview for one card all you need to add is
five lines to your 'Section "Device"'. Here's mine.
The lines after 'Option "TwinView"...' are the ones
you need to add.  Note that I put my second monitor
to the left of my first one because of how my desk
is setup.  Many people prefer to put it to the right.

Section "Device"
     Identifier "device1"
     VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 DDR (generic)"
     Driver "nvidia"
     Option "DPMS"
     Option "HWCursor" "true"
     Option "CursorShadow" "false"
     Option "TwinView" "true"
     Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     "30-95"
     Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"   "50-160"
     Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
     Option "TwinViewOrientation"        "LeftOf"
EndSection

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace