[TriLUG] File permissions WRT NTFS -> SAMBA migration

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 23:05:04 EST 2003

You'll need to read up on file rights and Samba. The folder rights will
not transfer.

If the rights are defined via a group, then create that group on the
Samba server and add all the users to that group then setup the samba
share to all that group to use the share.  Samba also has the ability to
Force the group rights for when someone creates a new file or directory
in that share - you'll want to make sure you have that setup or the
rights will eventually be limited only to the individuals that created
the files on that share.

You'll also need to allow that group (or everyone) file rights to that
directory - that is rights from the command line.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes