[TriLUG] Redhat and Proliant DL380G3 - any issues?

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Wed Dec 31 11:55:20 EST 2003

Sorry about HTML, just did a reply, but told Mozilla that was a NO NO
for trilug.org, but anyway.

Jason Tower wrote:

>let me guess: they are 3com nics, probably using the 3c59x module

It was the embedded Compaq 10/100 and a gigabit.

>.  i
>spent an hour the other day trying to get the exact same thing working
>on a dell optiplex.  the only thing that worked was to grab a freedos
>boot floppy and use a little 3com utility to permanently change the
>setting in the nic firmware.  PITA.  i've said it before and i'll say
>it again: 3com nics blow.

I disagree, but to each his own.  The boss bought a shipment of  used
3coms and we havent had any problems with them, before we were buying
realtek and didn't have any problems with them either except they
changed chipsets everytime we bought a batch, and with a mixed OS
environment Windows had to have a driver.