[TriLUG] Redhat and Proliant DL380G3 - any issues?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Wed Dec 31 15:44:59 EST 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 15:29, zzd wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 2003 11:46, Jason Tower wrote:
> > i've said it before and i'll say
> > it again: 3com nics blow.  gimme a $5 realtek card any day.
> >
> > jason
>
> <rhetorical question>How much do you charge per hour?</rhetorical
> question> Would it not serve your customers better to carry a spare
> couple of realtek cards and simply pop those in instead of charging
> for the extra time it takes to configure the 3coms. Don't get me
> wrong, you need to turn a buck, but sometimes small savings to a
> customer allows them to get more done with the same budget $$'s.

that's exactly what i do, i keep a handful of intel pro/100 and various
generic nics in my inventory at all times.  the 3com card i was messing
around with was on my own personal system (it was an integrated nic,
couldn't be swapped out, and since i needed two nics i wanted to get it
working so i could use it as #2).  believe me, i don't waste time
screwing around with substandard hardware when i can replace it and
save my clients money in the long run.  make your customers happy and
the bucks will come :-)

jason