[TriLUG] completely and totally OT question

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Fri Jan 2 13:53:13 EST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Did the computer run Linux?  (Please, please, please, somebody help me find
> a way to make this thread be somehow related to the mailing list I
> subscribed to....*chuckle*)

Unlikely, considering the movie was on video before the genesis of Linux.
The GNU project was only 2 years old when the movie came out, and the FSF
was started within a year of the movie's theatrical release.

I'd have to go back to be sure, but a hip cat like Ferris in 1986 would
probably have been using either an Apple II or a Commodore, especially
given that he had some MIDI stuff going on that PC's probably weren't
capable of back then.

And if you ignore the timeline discrepency, there are other glaring
issues:
1) He took the day off to go outside and have fun; very little time was
spent indoors.
2) He had a girlfriend.  And she was hot.
3) He drove a car without any geeky stickers on it.
4) His computer worked without a lot of messing around.

Chances are, if FBDO was filmed today, Ferris would be an OS X guy.