[TriLUG] rsync connections

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 17:37:24 EST 2004

OK, this is beginning to look like what I'm looking for, thanks Reggie.

rsync -avze ssh /rtest poo:/rtest2 worked, required me to enter the password as
if ssh or scp'ing to the machine.  I didn't like the way it transferred the
files, so I tried:

rsync -avze ssh /rtest/ poo:/rtest2 which also worked after entering password.
I liked the end result on poo better.  The directory rtest itself was not
copied, which is great, b/c I just need everything IN rtest.  :)

Now it appears I have to decide on doing the RSA stuff suggested by Chris or is
there some other way?

so the -z option, does that just compress during the transfer?  Are the files
on the receiving end just as usable as on the source end?

thanks!
David

--- Reginald Reed <reginald at cisco.com> wrote:
> If this is the direct command line you are using, its failing because you
> probably don't have (and shouldn't generally) rsh enabled.  To use ssh, try
> the following:
>
> rsync -avze ssh /rtest poo:/rtest2
>
> Once you get that going, then deal with ssh automatic ssh authentication.
>
> --Reggie
>
> trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote:
> > To answer both questions... to Chris, I can ssh between the
> > machines.  They are both on my internal network, so I'm not
> > going across a public network.  To Mark, I just don't even
> > know which way to go.  The man page was a bit confusing to me
> > about how the connections are made.  I guess I need to know
> > how to get the connection.  Which is better, trust or ssh?
> > which is easier?  I have about 20GB of data or less I'll be dealing
> > with.
> >
> > thanks,
> > David

<snip>