[TriLUG] Xmas wireless question

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Mon Jan 5 10:34:43 EST 2004

As a data point...
I've been using a D-Link wireless gateway since early this year.  I got
a refurb unit through one of the mail-order houses for $30 (after rebate).
It worked fine for a few months and then died.  As it turns out, the 'upload bios
update' feature was broken - if you try to update the bios, it ruins the box.
They can reset it at the factory and it works fine...until some bug (fixed in
the updated bios) is encountered.  Since you can't update the bios, you can't
avoid the bug.

D-Link refused to replace the unit since the warranty on refurb units is
only 30 days (or maybe 90?).  I fought this quite vigorously...since the
unit was obviously never really fixed (refurbished).  I was not successful.

However, the mail-order house (PC warehouse, I think) promptly replaced the
defective refurb unit with a brand-new unit - and it was the newer, improved
model - since they had sold out of the older models.  The new unit has worked
flawlessly since - requiring 0 reboots in 6 months.

My only other experience with wireless gear is Proxim...and D-Link is
most definitely a step up in quality from Proxim.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software