[TriLUG] Another Plea for Wireless Networking Help

Stephen Hoffman srhoffman at hofftech.net
Tue Jan 6 09:17:09 EST 2004

I from what I'm seeing you have the correct equiptment for the job.  It's
a 802.11G router with a built in 4-port ethernet switch, correct?

Assuming that you are on some sort of broadband connection, you'll plug
the DSL or Cable Modem's Ethernet cable into the "WAN" port on the
G-router and you can then plug up to 4 devices or 3 devices and daisy
chain another switch for more devices.

What makes you think that it won't work, are your attached devices not
getting internet access?  Since this is wireless, do you have a laptop in
the mix?  does your laptop have access?  Can you ping the switch/log on to
the mgmt console?

My biggest problem with RR Cable modem was the MAC caching that the modem
did.  When I disconnected my computer from the modem after the installer
left and hooked it to the router I got nothing, turned out I had to unplug
the modem for a bit (upto 12 hours), there is a feature in most AP's that
allow you to clone a MAC address, so you can clone the MAC of the PC that
was last plugged in.  You can verify that this is the problem by logging
into the AP's mgmt screen and seeing if the router aquired a DHCP IP addr.
from your ISP.  (on my router it was under the "WAN" heading)

Send more info on your problem, unless the hardware itself is bad, you
have the right equiptment for the job.

HTH
Steve