[TriLUG] Partitioning for n-booting

Carlos J. Cela ccela at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 17:20:34 EST 2004

Mike,

You can use qtparted or ntfsresize to resize an NTFS partitions (Google
for their home pages). They work well.

You can download them (check out because it depends on several
packages),  or just use a Knoppix 3.3 CD (which is very nice to have
handy, BTW).  Qtparted is self-explanatory. Just launch the Gui. It is
just a front-end to ntfsresize.

Before using a resize utility, make sure to defrag the partition (it
will refuse to resize if fragmented). Also, you might need to delete the
hybernation file and the swap file (both are system & hidden) on the
NTFS partition before resizing. The reason you need to delete those
files is that the $%^# windows puts them at the end of the partition and
they cannot be moved. It is safe to delete them - Windows will recreate
them on the next reboot.

Hope this helps,
Carlos-